Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Eve Musings and Goals

I can do 4 pull ups as of this morning!!! Yee haw! Maybe, just maybe, I'll be up to 5 by the time I leave for Texas. That gives me just over 2 weeks, with a hefty Thanksgiving dinner and lots of apple pie tossed in there (by 'there' I mean my tummy which means more weight to heave to the high heavens).

Monday night, I was for once really happy to have ridiculously wide feet. I went to Dick's to buy some B-ball shoes. All two pairs of women's basketball shoes were too narrow. The men's were too big. But the Boy's were just right. And, $45 cheaper.Yippee! Chalk one up for my Flintstone feet. Now if only they made strappy heels in Boy's sizes.

I've realized that I never wrote about any of the Post Super Spartan festivities, so here it goes. A Spartan chick who lives in Morgan, IL hosted a post race party aka The After Spar-Tay. I met Ami and her husband, Jim at the party. Ami and I discovered we were both Cincy local on the Spartan Chick page. Finally, nice to meet someone as crazy as me who lives local. And kudos to Ami for finishing 7th for the women in the Elite Heat. Quite an accomplishment! I also had the privilege of meeting Chris Davis of the Chris Davis Project. Basically, with sheer determination and the help of Spartan he has gone from 696 lbs. to 272 lbs and he ain't stopping. He is truly an inspiration and a lot of fun to chat with. Hi Chris!, if you happen to read this. So to all of you naysayers who say I can't, I'm out of shape, I don't have time, I could never do that, blah, blah, blah... Its time to Spartan the F up.

My finish at the Super Spartan was slower than I hoped, but I am certainly proud of my finish. My goal was a 10 percentile finish. I didn't get it. There were areas where I killed my time (stopping to ditch my CamelBak, waiting in a line and then opting for burpees, etc), but I'm not mad about it. When I signed up, 8 miles was unfathomable to me. The distance seemed impossible. When race day approached, I had a 13.6 mile run under my belt plus big girl push ups, rope climbs, pull ups, experience, etc. All things I could not do when I signed up. On race day, I was scared shitless, but confident in my ability to finish. The day I signed up for that race, I gave myself a goal. I don't know that I've ever really had goals in my life. I've accomplished stuff, but I've always thought of them of as things I just had to get done or else. Getting my degree - an item on the list. Plan a wedding - item on the list. Quit smoking - or die a slow, painful death. But Spartan has given me goals, and I've shared them with you. Pull ups were a goal. For all of my races I have had goals, even if just to finish. I wake up and train with the goal of finishing/surviving my upcoming Beast. I set these goals by my own free will, and work to accomplish them. And I must say it feels good. For once, I feel like I'm doing the things I want to do to which is making my goals easier to come by.

I put a little chart together comparing my IN Sprint Finish with my Super and you can really see the difference. Training has paid off.


 IN SprintMW Super
Mileage4.57
Time2:05:392:45:53
Age43/140
31%
23/127
12%
Gender 202/615
33%
102/881
12%
Overall1499/2450
61%
969/3257
30%

 
Good luck to those running in the Thanksgiving Day Race!

No comments:

Post a Comment