Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday Funday

In honor of the Super Bowl, Sunday Funday was held at a football field. Specifically, the University of Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium. The stadium is open when not in use and street parking is free on Sundays. My thoughts were the 26 sets of stairs slightly mimic the rolling hills of Haspin Acres. Its not perfect, but it will test our legs. To further mimic a Spartan Race, I added stations. We hauled my 30lb and 20lb sandbags, plus 2 Lowes buckets filled half way with gravel to the field. I also printed 6 sheets of papers with various exercises on them (Burpees x 2, push ups, Hobie Hop, Bear Crawl, Side Step). Once at the stadium we split up and spread out the bags, buckets, and papers at the bottom of the stairs. The goal was to get all the way around the stadium going up and down each set of stairs and doing the stations as you went.

This was a tough one. Really tough. Its one thing to simply run the stairs, but its a whole 'nother animal to go from 30 burpees to sprinting up stairs. Or carry a bucket up and then down icey steps. But if it was easy, everyone would do it. It was overall a great Sunday Funday. Everyone really pushed themselves and modified when necessary. Most importantly, we were all out there despite the snow and cold getting one "Step" closer to our IN Spartan Sprint. And I think we'll all be paying the price for the next few days. I know I struggled shaving my legs because they were shaking so badly. I'm now sitting on the couch in my calf compression sleeves with little energy to do much else other than type a blog post. Job well done, Andrea, Liz, and Meece! Aroo!

No comments:

Post a Comment