Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Beast or Bust, Baby

Its official. I am signed up to race the Spartan Beast in Glen Rose, TX on December 8th at 12:30pm. Scared? Hell, yes. I get nervous just thinking about it. But it will complete my Trifecta (if I manage to complete the Super in Chicago), so I'll crawl across the damn finish line if I have to or if they make me due to an obstacle. As I've said before, I'm part of a FB group of Spartan Chicks. I've managed to figure out that two of them will be lining up with me at 12:30. Even though I will be racing as an individual and so will they, we'll be able to offer some mental support and reassurance at the start.





As far as my work out this morning, it went well with only 1 major mishap. Can you spot it?

3.3 mile Trail run

100 body weight squats
30 push ups
43 walking lunges
Step in dog poop
1 minute plank
100 crunches

3.3 mile Trail run

Today was a long work out. I definitely ran out of gas my second time around the trail. My current morning routine is to make coffee, assemble my lunch for the day, and then work out. So, the only thing in my tummy is coffee. For short sessions, this works. However, I am definitely going to need to add some sort of breakfast for the longer hauls. I'm thinking of trying a rice cake with almond butter (I can't eat peanut butter). Today also reaffirmed my need to invest in a CamelBak sooner than later. I planned on getting one anyways for the Super and the Beast, but now is the time. Not only will I have water with me, but I will also be able to stash goo, wipes, or anything else I may need. Finally, I'm a sweaty mess. I believe if you look good when working out, then you're not doing it right. After my work out, I took off my shirt and I was able to wring sweat out of it. Our laundry hamper hates Spartan Chicks. I have to bring an old towel to put on my driver's seat so I don't soak it. Learned that lesson not that long ago when I sat at work with a wet hiney. Nasty. My socks were an issue today. They are thick and padded which is nice, but by the end, they were just squishy with sweat. Everytime I stepped, it felt like I was running on a gym mat. I need to get better socks that wick moisture. Blisters and/or soggy feet are no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment