Sunday, July 29, 2012

It's Log, Log, Log!

Yesterday morning I set out for Mt. Airy Forest for a nice, long 8+ mile trail run including the climb up the 200 Stone Steps. I was really looking forward to climbing those stairs. I love hills and steps. I printed the course from the Dirt Trail Series. I also printed the trail map from the City's park website. I highlighted the Dirt Trail course since the City's map was easier to read. I parked my car at the big oval, and into the woods I went. Mt. Airy is a great place for trail running. I will admit, I was a little nervous to run alone since its not on the best section of Colerain Ave. However, there were a ton of people on the trails. I saw hikers, dog walkers, and other trail runners. On the way in, I saw what looked like a men's running camp. So fear not Cincinnatians, Mt. Airy seems pretty safe on a Saturday morning. The city's trail map, not so great. Yes, it laid out all of the trails, but the map does not mark them. There were many forks in the trails that were marked with letters and arrows but my map did not mark the trails in the same manner. Needless to say there was a ton of back tracking. I definitely did not follow the course I had laid out. This was apparent when I reached the Stone Steps, but at the wrong end. I was at the top. Four Letter word expletive. Then I look down. Ahh...I believe a Spartan had been here before. There, next to the trail marker, was a log. A guaranteed obstacle in a Spartan Race is to carry something, whether its a log or a Spartan Pancake, up and down a gigantic hill. Here I was at the top of really steep stairs staring at a log. I knew what to do.

The rock was a little too heavy to carry, so the Log it was


View from the top. Notice that the stairs magically disappear. 
 I started marching down the stairs. Not the best constructed stairs and no handrails, so this was actually a little scary. I told myself this is great balance training, now don't fall down. If you do, all of your appendages will be bent in right angles in the wrong direction. Oh, and you won't be found for days. As I was going down, two ladies were going up. I stepped aside so they could pass. As they did, the second lady asked, "Why are you carrying that?" "Cause I'm a beast," is what I thought. "I'm training for a Spartan Race and they make you do this," is what I really said. How dare her question my training? Yeah, I'm carrying a log down steep stairs. Why not? I want to be strong, not skinny and dainty. In real life I'm more likely to have to carry something of awkward shape up a hill or up stairs, than have to lift a perfectly balanced metal bar using only my arms. Its called functional fitness. Whatever lady. Don't hate, cause you ain't.

Once at the bottom, I paused for a short photo shoot. This was my second balance work out of the day. Trying to pick up the log while holding my iTouch and getting it up on my shoulder. The result is below. Not pretty, but as I said before, if you look good, then you're not doing it right.

You can see the stairs in the background to give it some perspective.

The view from the bottom.

I marched up. It hurt so good. My legs burned the entire way up. Awesome. When I struggle or it hurts, I always remind myself that its pain now, but it will pay off on the Spartan course. One step at a time. As I approached the top, two young, strong trail runners ran by. The one saw me and tapped his buddy. I think they were shocked to see me climbing these stairs with a log. I wish I could better describe this moment. The one guy gave me a "Good work." Wow. That was a sign of respect and that felt good. In fact that made the rest of the run so much better.

I continued my run, checking my map, and back tracking from time to time. The top of my right foot started to hurt. Trail running causes more stress on your feet and ankles since you're running over roots and rocks. You are constantly maneuvering around obstacles on the trail. I tightened my shoes. That helped some. Then it started hurting more. Tightened my shoe again. And it started again. I laid off and did more walking. I made my way out of the woods and back to the oval. At my car, I chugged water and ate a Cliff bar. After evaluating the situation, I decided to end my run. I still had another 3 miles to go, but I didn't want to push my foot. Once on the road, I called my sister-in-law, Becky, who is the best physical therapist in the world. I told her about my foot. I made the right decision to stop. We figured its only a strain, however continued work on it can lead to a stress fracture. Basically, rest a little now or rest a whole lot later if it becomes a stress fracture. Once home, I iced it and took some ibuprofen for the inflammation.

Earlier this week I ordered a CamelBak LUXE, which is a hydration backpack. They are great when covering longer distances. I had hoped that it would arrive on Friday in time for my trail run, but it of course came Saturday afternoon as I was icing my foot. I bought it since my runs are getting longer and many of the racers recommend them for the longer Spartans. It has a low profile so I don't have to worry about it getting in the way. Plus, it has pockets for Goo's and Cliff Bars or whatever else I may need on the course. And, its Brown! Mud is brown, CamelBak is brown. Not too worried about discoloration. I got it from Rock Creek for $55. Its an older model so it was relatively cheap. This year's models run about $100, so I got a great deal.

Chest and waist straps so stays in place when running.

Its compact with a low profile. Bonus: Pretty sure that's Ryan Lochte on TV!

Its pretty with lots of pockets. The blue tube is the nozzle.

The hydration pack. Its a long bag, so its not bulky.

Sing-Along time!

No comments:

Post a Comment