Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 Goals and Improvements

I know, I'm a day late and calling them goals and improvements. I just feel like New Year's resolutions die after the third week of January once the holiday has escaped our fore thoughts and the gym membership and smoking cessation commercials have slowed. So, I have 2013 goals and improvements. The things I plan on improving will help me reach my goals.

Unless this is your first time reading this blog, you are well aware that Spartan has changed me by making fitness and health an integral component of my daily life. I transitioned from a person who wanted to work out but who also thought working out at the gym lit by florescent lights was a chore. Hence, I never had long term success. I was your typical gym member who would make make month long appearances from time to time. This did not work. Starting in April 2012, I learned a new way to work out. I learned running through the woods was a real sport. In fact, you could buy special shoes for this. As a kid my mom used to yell at me for going into the woods all summer because I'd return with poison ivy. But I loved exploring the trails with my friends and I always went back despite the threat of torturous itching. Now I can do this as an adult. Even better, after 2 doctor visits and spending a month on Predisone for my first Poison Ivy rash of the season, I found Tecnu Body Wash so no more Poison Ivy EVER. Besides running in the woods, Jon and I worked on our Gym in the basement and around the house. Over the year I slowly accumulated more equipment, by either making or buying it. I would make up routines the night before by jotting them on notepads, so I wouldn't have to waste time figuring out what to do in the morning. In fact, at one point, Jon asked me if I was following some sort of a schedule. "No, I just make this shit up." And I do. I've taken what I've learned from the Spartan WODs, Google, YouTube, Insanity Infomericals, my Spartan Chick Group, etc. and make up work outs. I also keep them all in a binder. When I first began, I would print out the Spartan WOD and put it in my binder. I've since stopped doing that, but will print my fav's or save some of the ones I create. The binder is great for when I have Training Block.

And this has worked for me. I can work out when it is convenient for me without the commute to the gym or the lines. I get to go outside before my 8+ hours at a desk in a windowless office. I train alone, which has also made me stronger mentally. I have to be the one that decides to do one more rep, that the pain is temporary, that its time to get out of bed, that I can do this. Its changed my perspective on life. I think I appreciate the simple things more. I learned the fruit of my labors. I learned the value and reward of hard work even if it takes me some time to accept it. Despite the occasional aches, pains, and soreness, I've never felt better. And, I am genuinely happy.

So,where does that leave me for 2013?

Goals:

Top 10 Female finish for any local OCR's I race. 
Top 20 Elite Female finish for IN Spartan Sprint in April. - This a doozy and will be extremely tough.

Improvements:

This is how I'm going to achieve those goals. First, I need to get faster. This means more running, more sprinting, more pacing with my running watch, and more 30 count burpees for time. Second, I need to improve my nutrition. I'll speak more to this in a later post. But basically less chocolate chip cookies, processed foods, meat, cheese and eating out, much more veggies, fruits, whole grains, and legumes. I know sounds terrible, but I'm looking forward to feeling the results. Finally, I need to improve my confidence in myself as an athlete. I've definitely gotten better through the course of the year, but there's room for improvement. I was at the front of the starting corral in the local OCR's but still mid-pack my final two Spartan Races. I'm good enough to be up front for all of the OCR races. I won a race and had a really tough time accepting my victory as an athlete. Sheesh, you would have thought that would have boosted my ego, but nope. I am too darn humble. In both the Super and Beast I found myself stuck behind walkers. I mentioned this to some of the TeamTX members at our After-Spartay and one of them told me to just shove people out of my way. Well, I can't do that. But that's the assertiveness I must apply when on the course. Let people know I'm a coming and to move over. A Ludacris song comes to mind. Probably not best to sing in order to get by, perhaps a loud, "Excuse me. Coming through" will suffice. So that's it. My Macro-Goals and Improvements.

Happy January 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment