Saturday, October 13, 2012

My First Half Mary

My first Half Mary was not started with a gun shot. It was not lined with volunteers cheering me on. It was not supported with water stations. It was not rocked out by a live band. It was not ended with a grandiose finish line. It was not crowded with other racers. It was not awarded with a shiny new medal. It was not met with hugs as I finished. No, it was none of those things. It was simply, one woman waking up with a goal to cross the half marathon distance threshold. It was me, the dirt, and the music on my iPod putting one foot in front of the other for 13.6 miles. It was me and my frozen toes and hands for the first mile or so. It was me looking at my watch and thinking, "I've been running for one and a half hours. That's crazy." It was me taking off my head phones on my final stretch so I could hear my foot steps, the creek, and the birds around me so I could enjoy the moment. It was me choking back the tears as my watch ticked off 13.1 miles because I never imagined accomplishing a half marathon distance. It was me covered in goosebumps, overcome with emotion and pride. It was me amazed by the person I have become.

It was me who walked in the door and needed bacon, Stat. "I want all the bacon that you have."




Total Distance: 13.6 miles
Total Time: 2:48:52

 
 


1 comment: