Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Stupid Deer

I'll try to make this post quick. I have a lot of training to cram in since I haven't posted since Thursday. Sometimes life just gets in the way posting or quite frankly I just don't feel like sitting in front of the computer and typing after doing the same thing at work all day. But I do love to TRAIN!

Friday:
8 Hill sprints with 30 lb. vest; half of loop trail run
  Total Distance: 1.8 miles
 Total Time: 30:56

Friday evening, I cashed in a gift card and got a massage. It was amazing and very much needed. In the past I've gotten massages strictly for relaxation. This time it was to knead out the knots in my back, neck, and legs. Also, the masseuse, Chloe, was awesome. We got to talking and it turns out she's considering trail running. She had just made the commitment to herself to start running and was interested in trying the trails. I encouraged her to do so. I left my blog site and words of encouragement. Chloe, if you happen to read this, thanks for the massage, and by all means attack the trails. I promise you'll fall in love with the sport. The hardest part is having the courage to take the first steps.

Saturday:

I set out for Mt. Airy a little after 12pm on Saturday. My goal was to do a half marathon, 13.1 miles. Just as I was getting into my groove (.7 miles), I came across a sign. Apparently, they're deer hunting, so I had to get off the trails. Expletive, Expletive, Expletive. Dodging bullets and arrows is not a Spartan Obstacle. Turns out they will be hunting until February in 2 zones. Grrrr..... Just as I was getting used to Mt. Airy. Yet, there is some hope. The Greater Cincinnati Trail Runners are working on getting some time reserved so people can run without risk of being killed. Also, you can run after dark with a headlamp. I hope to join the group on an evening run so I can learn more and become comfortable with running at night with my headlamp.


Spartan Flying Pig!
Plan B sucked. It sucked because it involved road running. I didn't have my hiking book in my car, and I couldn't find anything really when I stopped at my parent's house to research options on the Internet. So I resolved to road running. I figured if I was going to road run, better to do it somewhere a bit more interesting. I stopped home, switched to my road shoes, added 8 lbs. of sand bags to my CamelBak and headed downtown. I parked at Sawyer Point and hit the pavement. I went up and down the Serpentine Wall. As I coming up one time, a guy asked me if I had just swam across the Ohio. That's how crazy I looked. I had my "Train or Die" BondiBand on my head, my blue and white sunglasses (think LMFAO'esque), and my pack. I looked like a loon. I proceeded across the Roebling Bridge to Covington and then over to Newport. Once to Newport, I decided I would run up and down the levy. Every time I came across a post I would sprint up and down. Mid-way through the levy, I had to take a detour through the Newport Oktoberfest. More strange stares....  Then across the Purple People Bridge back into Cincy. I hooked a right and continued up the sidewalk past the Boathouse. Wasn't feeling all too great. Decided to head back and drop of my CamelBak and do one more loop without it. On my way back, I got mean-mugged by two lady joggers. Second lap still sucked. I just ran it. My knees started hurting (gotta love the pavement for this) and I decided to cut my run short.

Total Distance: 9.7 miles

View from Roebling Bridge
Total Time: 2:19:16

Crazy Spartan Chick

Sunday:
Mental Health day (Cleaned my house so I could think straight)

Monday:
Mental Health Day Part II (Grocery Store, Laundry, more cleaning)

Tuesday:
Morning: 1 round of my arm circuit
Evening: One loop of my usual trail run and conquered Deer Fear!
  Total Distance: 3.2 miles
  Total Time: 38:36





No comments:

Post a Comment