Sunday, August 19, 2012

Don't Let the Cellulite Fool You

That cellulite is just my leg's super hero disguise. Under all that are a pair of powerhouses that make me faster than a speeding bullet. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but they are getting pretty strong. And apparently my cellulite enjoys runs in the woods and burpees cause it ain't going anywhere. Perhaps one sweet day it will decide it has overextended its stay and move on. In the meantime my haunches are getting smaller (Yay!) and my thighs are slowly moving farther apart (Double Yay!).

As far as workouts go, Friday night (Thursday night margaritas nixed a morning work out) I did tire work before friends came over for a grill out. I will say flipping a tire really is a full body work out. You would be surprised how much you engage your abs. Its also good for grip strength. 'X' = flip to other end of yard. Intervals were 1 minute. I put a timer at each end our yard.

X
Overhead Sledge hammer
X
Overhead Sledge Hammer other side
X
Side Sledge Hammer
X
Side Sledge Hammer other side
X
Going side to side, jumping in and out of tire
X
Going forward, jumping in and out of tire

Then I did my burpees for my 100 day challenge and maybe some ab work.

On Saturday I went for a 2 1/2 hour trail run in Mt. Airy. I figured out how to get to the bottom of the Stone Steps!! I went up them 3 times, twice with a rock and once with my old buddy, Log. I also did 20-25 tri-dips on all of the bridges as an extra bonus.  Jon always warns me to not talk to strangers in the woods, but I always end up chatting with folks on the trails. Yesterday, I met a man and his grandson. The man was 81 years old and looked about 10 years younger. He told me he does what he calls the 12 bridge hike at least once a week. He was a truly an inspiration. I hope when I'm his age I look that good.


A plaque in Everybody's Tree House which sends a perfect message

Apparently you have to watch out for Indians

To the Stone Steps (I always park in the Oval): Walk up to Oak Ridge Ave. Trail A will be about half way down on your left. Once in the woods, at the first fork, take Trail B. Stay on the trail. There will be a trail that goes up the hill, do not go there. You will end up at the Oval. When you hit the creek, take a hard left on Trail C. You will see a trail that takes a left at a right angle. Take this. It bypasses heavy debris that you cannot get through. Finally, this will spit you out in a field and at the bottom of the steps. Now start marching. Once at the top of the steps, go left. Take the Quarry Trail. This trail is simply beautiful and this is also where you will spot Blue Indians. Then you're on your own. I just eventually make it out.

Today, we owned Nippert Stadium. There was a total of 5 of us: Bridgid, Tim, Lindsay, Gina, and me. Tim counted 26 sets of stairs with approximately 50 steps on each. Let me tell you, that stadium is bigger than I remember. And it looks a lot bigger when empty. We each attacked them at our own pace. If you dare to go, bring water (no water fountains) and go with an empty bladder (no pottys). Afterwards, with shakey legs we hopped into our cars and ventured down to Ludlow for lunch at Habaneros. Oh, and a frozen Margarita.

No comments:

Post a Comment