Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body

That was my mantra for this morning's work out. I really pushed myself today.

It all started with a sweet potato. Real simple: Scrub. Poke with a fork. Place on a paper towel. Nuke for 5 minutes turning over halfway. Enjoy! I am finding that these really help me sustain energy through my workout. They are comprised of complex carbs which take longer to digest thus longer energy. They are potassium power houses. And they are high in calcium and iron. For a better break down read this article. Plus, it counts towards your daily veggie intake. Bonus!

I started out with my 3.4 mile trail run. Ran into a spiderweb and while wiping off my face, rolled my ankle on a root. Stubbed my toe on a rock in the creek bed, then tripped. Needless to say, trail running requires all of your attention. No vacationing in La La Land when gallivanting through the woods. Then I forced myself to "run" the entirety of the monster hill on the backside. It hurt, but I kept repeating to myself, "Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Once out of the woods, I did 50 walking lunges, 10 big girl push ups and then 5 big girl and 5 baby push ups. I know I broke my ban on baby push ups. However, I wanted to keep going and work on my form. Then I did burpees. I joined a 100 day Burpee Challenge group on FB. Basically, on your first day do as many as you can continuously. That is your base number. Everyday add 1 more and no breaking them up. My base number is 23, so in 100 days theoretically I'll be able to do 123 burpees continuously in a row. We'll see. Next up was the dreaded plank. I went until "Sexy Chick" was over on my iPod. "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Then I collapsed and rolled over on my back. "While I'm down here, I should some crunches." So, 50 crunches and then maxed out on Bicycles. I guy walked by to fill his water bottle and said, "So running is not enough for you?" Me, "Nope." Finally, found my rock in the creek bed and did some squat to shoulder presses and chest throws.

Oh, we're not done yet. I'm telling you sweet potatoes are like Energizer Batteries. Hopped in my car and drove toward the park exit. Slipped into my weighted vest and did 5 hill sprints. Each time I got to the top, I stuck out my tongue so I wouldn't vomit and sucked in as much air as humanly possible. The whole time, "Pain is weakness leaving the body." I finished with a nice long stretch under a tree. After all that pain, I am feeling pretty strong today.


1 comment: