Monday, August 27, 2012

The Eve of a New Decade

Tomorrow I turn 30. Apparently, I'm pretty bad at turning a momentous age. I'm not dreading it. I don't feel old. I'm not griping about how much better I felt in my early 20's. I'm completely okay with turning another year older. It almost feels like just another day for me. We're going to celebrate with dinner at my favorite pizza joint, ZZ's, and then we're going climbing at Climb Time in Blue Ash.

Not much else to say about turning thirty. I work out so I can continue to feel great as I age. I lost my grandma over the winter. She played volleyball into her 70's and followed her own form of a diet. On her fridge there was a magnet that read, "Norma, stick to your diet." At my cousin's grad party, we had cold cut sandwiches, and she skipped on the bread because of the calorie count. She never smoked a cigarette. And these are the reasons she was able to remain in her house where she raised her children and where we would all pile in the living room every Christmas Eve to open presents and have a Nerf War. Over this winter, I personally discovered my belief that our ultimate fate has been determined. There is no cheating death. Our ticket's been punched. However, I have control on how I will spend those days up to that point. I hope to continue my journey of good health and fitness throughout my entire life. I want to be there for every second of it.

Enough with the deep stuff. Tomorrow morning I'm going to kick my 30 year old ass. I'm working on a solid interval training set. I'll share in next post. In the mean time, on Saturday I did an interval set from Men's Health Magazine in the living room. I used 15 lbs. free weights and my handy Gym Boss. It is appropriately titled "From Skinny to Spartacus." Did three rounds. The Plank Walkup with Dumbbell Drag was a killer.

This morning I did a 3.5 mile smash run. Included inverse pull ups on the playground, Tri-dips, walking lunges, wall push off's (20 each leg), and calf raises. Felt dehydrated still from excessive partying on Saturday. But I got through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment