Friday, September 7, 2012

Mud on the Slopes

Woo Hoo! Tomorrow is the Mud Stash at Perfect North Sloes. Giggity! It will be OCR number 4 this year. I can't wait! Nothing like spending your Saturday morning sloshing through the mud, climbing ropes, running the trails, and just mucky madness.

Its a 5k, which is much shorter than the upcoming Super Spartan. The past 2 Supers have been between 10-11 miles, so I'm going to run this one twice. I then hope to climb Center Stage. Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, so I might have ask for forgiveness if I get in trouble. I'm attacking the course with the same mentality as the Mudathlon. Be Fearless and leave it all in the dirt. I am also running in the earliest heat which will help with bottle necking at obstacles and my time. My goal: Top ten female finish. Once again, I have no idea if I can actually do this, but that's my attitude. I'm hoping for a self fulfilling prophecy. If I believe it enough, it will happen.

As far as training, this week I've definitely gotten back on track. Tuesday, I worked my arms. I came up with 8 exercises that I really like. I have the list hanging in my basement. I've been maxing out on them, but they are also good for Interval training.

Squat Press
X
Side Lunge with Curls
X
Plank Walk Up with Dumb Bell Drag
X
Kettle Bell Snatch
X
Tri Rows
X
Medicine Ball Chest Throws
X
Pulls ups
X
Mountain Climb Push Ups
X
Dead Lifts


 
Last Saturday I went on the worst trail run ever. However, the good thing about trail runs is that even the worst runs are still a great hike. And with a great hike one gets to make more observations. So during my hike, I had an epiphany. Two of the obstacles almost guaranteed in a Spartan are some kind of object drag and a Hercules Pull (basically you pull on a rope that is up and over a pulley with some sort of weight on the other side). I realized, duh, we have a ton of cinder blocks and rope. All I need to do is tie rope to the cinder block, and Viola, Spartan obstacle. So Wednesday morning I headed to the park. First, 2 sets of 8 hill sprints with 30lb weight vest. And of course, cuss and shout at a deer. Then I got out my 50 lb. cinder block and carried it into the woods (this in itself, was one heck of a work out). Once on the trail, I dropped and dragged it. I made sure to switch sides so I would be 'even.' Eventually I made it to my most favorite tree in the woods. This is also the same tree that Jon and I climbed into for our engagement pics. I threw the rope up and over one of the branches and pulled. Ok. It did not budge. Basically, I was just hanging onto this rope with a cinder block laughing at me. But not all was lost. In Spartan Races, you also have to climb ropes. So I decided to make it a different obstacle and attempt to climb it. I'll go with: The diameter of the rope was too small to climb. This too was a fail. I was able to almost lock my feet into rope when I jumped up. Climbing a rope requires a ton of practice. Luckily, I ordered one on ebay and it arrived this week. Our neighbor, Kristen is letting me tie it in her tree. The plan is to hang it on Sunday. You bet there will be video!
 
Yesterday, I had an awesome work out. First, 1 mile jog to the park. Once there: 20 playground inverted pull ups, 30 burpees, 30 Tri dips across the picnic tables, 50 squats, 20 push ups, 1 minutish plank, 50 walking lunges.
 
Then, I headed up to the soccer field. Waved to my favorite Park Maintenance men. Full field bear crawl, 3/4 field crab walk (wrists not digging it), 1/2 field frog jumps, 1/2 field standing long jumps, full field high knees, full field butt kicks.
 
After my field work, I reversed my first set starting with the 50 walking lunges through the inverted pull ups. Finally, I tough jog home with very 't'-ed off legs.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment